Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ghana 0-1 Germany

Ama Ata Aidoo (1942- )



After a Commonwealth Conference

Because

you are here
to remind me to be grateful to
- it must be The Lord –
for small mercies,

I shall not
wail
shave my hair or
do another fasting trip at the dawn of a
day that has put more bile on my tongue.

But Child,
out there where
our thousands are dying and
our millions
do not have food to
choose to eat or
not,

how does one tell the story of men
who are nothing at all, and
leaders who are only
skilled in the art of anti-people treachery?

Child,
I hear you: and since
wisdom
does not always grow with our grey hairs,

may be,
you can tell me
what to do with
my shame, and

Our Continent once more
betrayed?


Monika Rinck (1969- ; trans. Nicholas Grindell)



feelings at windows

supplementary desire takes place when
ever desire itself adds that which
even fulfilment, if it existed, would lack.
when the unknown meshes with the absolute
in the mingling light at evening windows
and distance dissolves into expanse. i shout:
i want none of what i already know!
otherwise there’s cold solitudes
like there’s cold chicken in paris restaurants.

No comments: