Sunday, October 30, 2011

Transhumance



Jesús Garzón, an environmentalist, has spent a lot of effort reviving the old custom of transhumance (moving flocks from summer to winter pastures) in Spain. One of the traditional transhumance paths runs, funnily enough, through the centre of Madrid (when I say 'traditional', I mean, dating back to 1250 or so, when running sheep through the centre of Madrid wasn't as odd as all that). The shepherds pay 25 maravedíses (the word has three plural forms; I am using the one the RAE judges 'most vulgar'; the others are maravedís and maravedíes) for the privilege. More information here. The upshot of this is that the centre of Madrid was today filled with livestock. I was too lazy to follow the sheep droppings and horse dung all the way to the Plaza de Cibeles, so I set up shop outside the Plaza Mayor, and waited to see what came past. What came past was, mostly, sheep:








Here's a separate section on what we might call 'brand identity', if we were less funny than we in fact think we are:







And here are two photos of shepherds on horseback using mobile phones:


And finally, a horse:

All in all, a fun way to spend a morning.

1 comment:

Spark said...

Great photos. I would LOVE to go on such a journey. My horse is Andalusian-- looks just like the one in the last photo---- and the second photo. I would love to revisit Madrid--- on horseback this time.

All praise to Jesus Garzon for preserving this custom.