Wednesday, December 28, 2011

George Allison (1883-1957)


A curiosity: I was led to Mr. Allison via Philip Larkin (I'm reading the Letters to Monica at the moment, which are enjoyably tinned-sardiney), who asks Monica Jones on 12 March 1957 if she remember's Allison's 'football commentaries, in the old square-4 days? He was the most exciting one I ever heard: his "It's a goal!!!!" was the most abandoned shriek-roar we shall ever know.'

My search for the shriek-roar led me to this, a man who makes recordings of old vinyl records played on his gramophone:


The only goal comes at 3.30 on the video: some insight gained into Larkin's ideas of wild abandonment.

More information about Allison here: a career path that goes from sports journalism to football management is difficult to imagine nowadays.

I can't find an original eight-square commentary grid (as mentioned by Larkin and the gentleman with the gramophone), so here's a modern one:


And here, finally, is a truly abandoned shriek-roar:

No comments: