Saturday, December 08, 2007

Halil Mutlu


A previous post, Naim Süleymanoğlu, might, by the coincidence of title and photograph, have implied that the weightlifter portrayed in the post was the Turkish 'Pocket Hercules', the 147cm Naim Süleymanoğlu. The possibilities for confusion have been brought to my attention by a friend, who points out that the weightlifter in the earlier post was in fact Süleymanoğlu's successor as the Turkish 'Pocket Hercules', the 150cm Halil Mutlu. I hope that this clearly-titled post, with its picture of Naim Süleymanoğlu, will resolve any confusion.

3 comments:

nagihun said...

but does not resolve the confusion of why you're interested in them

there is a communist connection though, Süleymanoğlu had fled to Turkey from Bulgaria at the time and I remember being brought out of school with my classmates to cheer for him on İstiklal Street where he was actually paraded after his defection.

James Womack said...

I find it difficult to explain my interest in many of the topics here: why should an interest in short Turkish weightlifters be much more inexplicable than one in giant squid or W.N.P. Barbellion? It might be to do with memory: I saw Süleymanoğlu on the TV winning medals at the Olympics in I think 1996 and was impressed by how short he was. It's the little things that stay in your mind.

On the topic of memory, thank you for yours: is defection from Bulgaria a recognised career path for weightlifters?

nagihun said...

it was in the 80's I think